Watch| Two Killed, 67 Arrested After 8 Women Were Gang Raped In Krugersdorp Mine Dump
Over 67 suspects have been arrested in Krugersdorp in connection with the alleged rape of eight women while filming a music video at a mine dump.
The rape occurred on Thursday, and police acted quickly to apprehend the suspects who allegedly ambushed and raped the women.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: EC Teenager Hospitalized After ‘Gang Rape’ At Initiation School
On Friday, Police Minister Bheki Cele arrived at the crime scene, followed by senior police officials, including Police Commissioner Fannie Masemola.
“I initially gave the figure that there were only three people that were arrested, but there are 67 people that have been arrested, they were found in the mountains and bushes and everywhere.”
It was also revealed that 65 people had been arrested for violating the Immigration Act, including one who was hospitalized for gunshot wounds.
Two more suspects were killed after allegedly pointing firearms at police officers. Two unlicensed firearms, explosives, and other items belonging to the victims were later recovered.
The suspects were apprehended in connection with the ambush of a group of 22 people aged 19 to 35, including 10 men and 12 women, who were on the mine dump to film a music video.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Nigerian National Arrested For ‘Defrauding’ An Elderly Woman Of R2 Million
The armed men in blankets are said to have ordered everyone to lie down before raping eight of the women and robbing them of their belongings before fleeing the scene.
“There is a strong suspicion that will be confirmed by the officials who are here that most of the suspects are foreign nationals including those that raped the kids, they seem to be foreigners.
“Amongst the women that were there four were not raped. We are raising some concern around that, the police are however still investigating and it would be good to wait for those investigations to be concluded but also men that were there nine of them are Nigerians and not South African so there is a lot to be investigated in order to get to the bottom of this,” cele said.
Masemola allegedly unleashed “some serious resources,” including members of the Special Task Force, Crime Intelligence, National Intervention Unit, Tactical Response Team, K9, Flying Squad, Highway Patrol, and SAPS Airwing, according to Cele.
Police said the Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offences unit was investigating 32 counts of rape following the rape of the eight women.
[UPDATE] a total of 67 have been nabbed by the police following the horrific #KrugersdorpRape incident that saw eight women being raped and robbed. Minister of police is satisfied that @SAPoliceService have responded accordingly and are ‘cleaning the area. pic.twitter.com/wmx0aVBpb4
— Lirandzu Themba (@LirandzuThemba) July 29, 2022
The post Watch| Two Killed, 67 Arrested After 8 Women Were Gang Raped In Krugersdorp Mine Dump appeared first on Surge Zirc SA.